ASD Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

genetics and having more kids

4 posters

Go down

genetics and having more kids Empty genetics and having more kids

Post  missbee Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:03 pm

No im not in the market for another sibling Laughing Dh is firmly in the no camp. He has had a vasectomy also (though i know they are reversable Laughing )

However if i could convince him, i think sometimes i would like to add to the family. Max has been such a joy, that part of me likes the idea of another child some day.

One huge consideration for me is the possibility of a genetic link. the social worker mentioned that we could talk to Dr hunter about it.

How do you feel about that? does a possible genetic link change things for your family?

Had we not had a difficult child like christopher we would have definately had another. Even before a diagnosis I was scared of having another three years of hard times. Now with a diagnosis, I am really not sure if its something i could ever risk.

Dh points out we dont get to pick. We are extremely lucky Max is such a happy go lucky baby, and thinks we should finish while we are ahead.

I love christopher, i adore him, however it hasnt been a walk in the park. I think had we had an earlier diagnosis, i wouldnt have had another baby. So its a blessing that Max is here.

Sorry for the novel, im just curious to know how everyone feels about the possibility of a genetic link, and how that has effected your family, and any potential pregnancies???
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

genetics and having more kids Empty Re: genetics and having more kids

Post  hismama Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 am

I am single, so it's not really an issue for me at the moment...BUT, I always wanted heaps of kids, like maybe 6! Now though...not so much, and definitely not on my own! I guess if I had another that wasn't such a challenge, I might change my mind. Also, because he takes so long to transition to change, how fair would it be on him?
I still want more kids, but it is a bit scary aye?

hismama

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 am

we are happy with three but yes Mikko's diagnosis definately makes me even more sure we are done. i would have loved 4 but feel it would just be too unfair as i don't feel i can give them enough time as it is!
A lot of people ask me if we are going to have another and go for a girl and I have always said that I would be thrilled with another boy but lately I have been thinking a girl might be a lot safer Laughing
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Major topic of concern for me... I *really* want a boy... currently have 3 girls, with the oldest being ASD, #2 is NT, and we don't know yet about #3 (although, she is likely to be NT as well).

Spoke to my GP, and she said that girls are almost "protected" from ASD with more boys being ASD than girls, and couple that with the fact that I do think it is genetic and possibly hereditary (have ASD on both sides of the family - but that could be coming through from their other sides), then, a boy probably = another ASD child, which I really can't cope with... PLUS, 4 kids = affraid

BUT... I really want a boy!! And DH wants the snip asap!! *sigh*

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:18 pm

teegee wrote:Major topic of concern for me... I *really* want a boy... currently have 3 girls, with the oldest being ASD, #2 is NT, and we don't know yet about #3 (although, she is likely to be NT as well).

Spoke to my GP, and she said that girls are almost "protected" from ASD with more boys being ASD than girls, and couple that with the fact that I do think it is genetic and possibly hereditary (have ASD on both sides of the family - but that could be coming through from their other sides), then, a boy probably = another ASD child, which I really can't cope with... PLUS, 4 kids = affraid

BUT... I really want a boy!! And DH wants the snip asap!! *sigh*

boys are cool Cool I'd quite like twin boys Laughing
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks for your replies. Seems it fairly common to be worried about these things.

Its interesting that its more common for boys than girls. And me and Jonty only seem to make boys - well 2 for 2 so far.

missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down