ASD Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lack of speech/sounds

3 posters

Go down

lack of speech/sounds Empty lack of speech/sounds

Post  Jeshiko Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 pm

how concerned would you be about an 18 month old who doesn't have any words yet? He is very vocal and expressive and social. he points and waves but doesn't mimic words/parrot back anything. He can say dada but says it for everything. Everything is dada Laughing Except when he is cross and then it is mamamamamama Rolling Eyes Laughing
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

lack of speech/sounds Empty Re: lack of speech/sounds

Post  teegee Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I think Happi (on TNN) once said that she had a benchmark of 18 words by 18 months! I know the Plunket book has 2-3 words by 15 months, and "knows lots of words" Rolling Eyes by 21-24 months.

Personally, I will be using the 18 words benchmark for DD3 - given DD1 is ASD.

I guess it can't hurt to get a referral, given how long it can take to see a paediatrician? If you find he doesn't fit the criteria, then you can cancel the referral.

Hope this helps

Smile

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:26 pm

teegee wrote:I think Happi (on TNN) once said that she had a benchmark of 18 words by 18 months! I know the Plunket book has 2-3 words by 15 months, and "knows lots of words" Rolling Eyes by 21-24 months.

Personally, I will be using the 18 words benchmark for DD3 - given DD1 is ASD.

I guess it can't hurt to get a referral, given how long it can take to see a paediatrician? If you find he doesn't fit the criteria, then you can cancel the referral.

Hope this helps

Smile

we had a referral done ans got an apt right away i guess cos of Mikko. I ended up putting it off as aside from the speech delay all seems fine and I am not really sure what they would do anyway. gah maybe i should reschedule. do you think there is much they would do for an 18m old?
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Maybe nothing they can do, but you can be put on the list for a SLT and EIT - I know here there are delays to get access to those. Any little bit can help Smile And the earlier he can see the SLT, the better Smile

Sometimes, it can help to hear it from a "professional" that all is ok Smile

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 am

When the speech therapist came out to see us, she wasnt overly concerned by christophers couple of words by 2.5.
Though he never uttered a word (not even Mum Sad ) will after two.

Cant hurt to check it out, though i had to wait six months for them to visit, by that stage christohper was talking...but only just. I sometimes wonder if she had of come out earlier, if we might have got an earlier diagnosis. He was at 2.5 at the very bottom of the "normal" range.

missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 am

missbee wrote:When the speech therapist came out to see us, she wasnt overly concerned by christophers couple of words by 2.5.
Though he never uttered a word (not even Mum Sad ) will after two.

Cant hurt to check it out, though i had to wait six months for them to visit, by that stage christohper was talking...but only just. I sometimes wonder if she had of come out earlier, if we might have got an earlier diagnosis. He was at 2.5 at the very bottom of the "normal" range.

It's big waits for the first kid but they move really fast for siblings. I have put off to paeds apts for Kasper as I don't think they'll do anything. I'll go to the next one which I think is November though just for peace of mind....... or not as the case may be!
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:50 am

Just got another letter today and Kaspi's apt is Oct 31st Smile
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin