ASD Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enzogenol for brain function

4 posters

Go down

Enzogenol for brain function Empty Enzogenol for brain function

Post  Kiwigem Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Leila recommended we add Enzogenol (pine bark extract) to Daniel's supplements earlier this year and I have to say, both his teacher and I are loving the results. He currently takes one capsule each morning and his teacher has been saying how engaged he is in class, can concentrate easily on topics and how clearly he seems to be thinking things through in the class. Next year when he is in year 5 at school, we will look at increasing his dose to 2 capsules per day by having one in the morning and taking one to school to take late morning.

There are no contra-indications so safe for anyone to take as it's just an anti-oxidant made from NZ radiata pines and it does build up over time so when school finishes, we will stop giving it to him for a while (mostly to save a little bit of money over the holiday) and then start it again about 2 weeks before school goes back.

Not all pine bark extracts are created equal - there is a Nutralife brand which doesn't have as higher dose as the Enzo Professional so ends up costing more. If anyone is interested in trying these on their school age children, the cost is $41 per bottle of 60 capsules and you can get them from Peter Balle Pharmacy in Kohimaramara (ph 09 528 3326) and Lynne will be able to answer all your questions about it. They have been supplying it to quite a few head trauma patients and hearing first hand some of the great feedback about it.
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Enzogenol for brain function Empty Re: Enzogenol for brain function

Post  Kiwigem Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 am

And Gina Wilson just linked me this article about it too for anyone wanting some more information...

and this one...

Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 am

oh i had read about that earlier in the year but you know how it is, you read so much stuff and I hadn't heard anything from anyone I knew so I just left it. Might give it a try now though Smile

eta just ordered some Smile
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:19 am

Glad this info helped you make the decision to get it! Lynne at the pharmacy said some patients take up to 2 weeks to start noticing a difference and it took a bit longer with Daniel because we started a few other things at the same time, but it's clear to see now it's the Enzogenol doing the good work.
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 am

Interesting... might look into it more for next year, given there are only a few more weeks left of school. Is it only available in capsules? I think DD1 would struggle as she is not too fond of medicines Rolling Eyes

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 am

teegee wrote:Interesting... might look into it more for next year, given there are only a few more weeks left of school. Is it only available in capsules? I think DD1 would struggle as she is not too fond of medicines Rolling Eyes

i am planning on breaking the capsule and putting it into juice.
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 am

Jeshiko wrote:
teegee wrote:Interesting... might look into it more for next year, given there are only a few more weeks left of school. Is it only available in capsules? I think DD1 would struggle as she is not too fond of medicines Rolling Eyes

i am planning on breaking the capsule and putting it into juice.

Good idea. Must remember to buy some next year!

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 am

It's quite a bright deep red colour and when we tried it in juice at the beginning, Daniel really struggled with it (I don't know if it was the colour or if it had a strong taste) so we used to sprinkle it on his morning toast underneath the nut butter. I saw on one site where people mixed it with stewed fruit or yoghurt. Daniel is swallowing capsules now which makes life so much easier so we have no trouble getting anything into him but it's been over 3 yrs of trying to get to this point.
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 am

I am reluctant to try it in yoghurt as we don't want DD1 going off any food... I am thinking of trying it in icecream???

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  sewsable Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 pm

This looks really interesting, will discuss with Dh and might consider it towards the end of the holidays. He won't take capsules though; might have to start work on that too.
sewsable
sewsable

http://http:/raciebaby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Mikko's been taking ot for 5 days now. No probs getting it into him as I still give him a sippy cup. He's taken it happily in juice and in milo.
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sewsable Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 am

I've emailed the pharmacy; hate phones and especially hate having to pay to use them, at least email is free.
sewsable
sewsable

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:51 am

sewsable wrote:I've emailed the pharmacy; hate phones and especially hate having to pay to use them, at least email is free.

totally agree! Is there anywhere that sells it online? would be easier for us next time as even though we are in AKL it is still a toll call Evil or Very Mad

Rochelle does Daniel take a GABA supplement (think that's what it is called)?
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sewsable Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:30 am

Mine is now ordered and if I need more I'll either ring or email them. Might have to get some blackcurrant syrup to make drinks for Ian I think; if it works for Ian then I'll also try it for George.
Lynne did suggest we should consider going to see Leila Masson? Thomas isn't keen, too much money to get up there.
sewsable
sewsable

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 am

Jeshiko wrote:
sewsable wrote:I've emailed the pharmacy; hate phones and especially hate having to pay to use them, at least email is free.

totally agree! Is there anywhere that sells it online? would be easier for us next time as even though we are in AKL it is still a toll call Evil or Very Mad

Rochelle does Daniel take a GABA supplement (think that's what it is called)?

Jess, you should be able to get it online from these people [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they definitely sell the Enzo Professional brand but can't put it on their site as it's a practitioner only item. I did ring them about it last week and they have it in stock but it's about $4 more per bottle than Peter Balle Pharmacy.

No, Daniel isn't on the a GABA supplement... will have to google it to see what it is Laughing
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:29 am

sewsable wrote:Mine is now ordered and if I need more I'll either ring or email them. Might have to get some blackcurrant syrup to make drinks for Ian I think; if it works for Ian then I'll also try it for George.
Lynne did suggest we should consider going to see Leila Masson? Thomas isn't keen, too much money to get up there.

Hope it works for you! Not sure how you'll feel about this but Leila does often do skype consultations if you can't get to Auckland. I don't know if that's just for follow ups or if she'll be able to do it for a first appt though.
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 am

Rochelle do you give Danial enzogneol everyday then? Mikko has been having it everyday and I was wondering if it wouls still work if I cut it back to say 2-3 time a week to make it more sustainable $$$ wise.

That said I don't know if it is working at all Laughing
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 am

I asked about that Jess because I wasn't sure and I knew it was getting expensive as well. Apparently it takes about 3 weeks given consistently to build up in the system and then you can the odd day here and there where you don't have to give it every day but it is cumulative in the body.

We've given Daniel a break over the holidays, I think we stopped about a week out from the end of term and will be starting it again tomorrow so he's ready to hit the ground running with again when school starts.

Maybe give Lynn at Peter Balle Pharmacy a call and have a talk with her too? They are also supplying it to lots of head injury patients so they are gaining a great wealth of knowledge about it.
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 am

Kiwigem wrote:I asked about that Jess because I wasn't sure and I knew it was getting expensive as well. Apparently it takes about 3 weeks given consistently to build up in the system and then you can the odd day here and there where you don't have to give it every day but it is cumulative in the body.

We've given Daniel a break over the holidays, I think we stopped about a week out from the end of term and will be starting it again tomorrow so he's ready to hit the ground running with again when school starts.

Maybe give Lynn at Peter Balle Pharmacy a call and have a talk with her too? They are also supplying it to lots of head injury patients so they are gaining a great wealth of knowledge about it.

cool - thanks Rochelle. Do you notice a difference with Daniel while he is not taking it? we are experiencing more compliance with Mikko but it actually started just before he started taking the enzogenol so it could be just a maturity thing. He's probably got about 10 capsules left so it should definately have kicked in and built up. Might try going dwn to 3x a week Smile
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down