ASD Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you expect from the school

5 posters

Go down

what do you expect from the school Empty what do you expect from the school

Post  missbee Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 am

I was talking to the social worker today, and trying to explain how i dont think christophers school are really doing all they can.

But im not sure what i want Embarassed

Academically he is fine. Joe average in most things so far. Quite good on computers (in comparison to other kids, he was miles ahead in this area).

So im not sure how they could help. Its the social aspect that worries me most. Lunch time and play time.

So, can i ask, what do you expect from your school? What do they do that you like? (and not like?)
Is there anything they can do for a mild diagnosis, other than let him muddle through?
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

what do you expect from the school Empty Re: what do you expect from the school

Post  Jeshiko Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 am

no firsthand expereince sorry but I know Finn's school has a special class to teach social language. It is primarily for ESOL kids but they have included kids with HFA and aspergers.
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dearna Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:38 am

Do you have any MOE support at school? We have just got a psych and OT coming on board next term as part of Christians team. The psych is starting a 'social skills' class as part of the health curriculum. It will consisit of Christian and 4-5 kids from his class who are positive role models and is aimed at modelling appropriate play etc for him. Make a list if you can of your concerns around the lunchtime/playtime breaks and ask how the school can help with that. What strategies have been put in place to deal with your concerns?
Dearna
Dearna

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:55 am

Our school has a SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator), and we met with her, the principal, DD's classroom teacher and DD's EIT along with the RTLB before DD started school - this was our initial IEP. And since then, we have made good progress. DD1 has a full time teacher aide for which we fund 100 hours per term (school pays the rest), and she has RTLB & SLT hours. The school is doing really well - it helps that they had an ASD child a few years ahead of DD1. At the moment, I can't fault them!

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

teegee wrote:Our school has a SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator), and we met with her, the principal, DD's classroom teacher and DD's EIT along with the RTLB before DD started school - this was our initial IEP. And since then, we have made good progress. DD1 has a full time teacher aide for which we fund 100 hours per term (school pays the rest), and she has RTLB & SLT hours. The school is doing really well - it helps that they had an ASD child a few years ahead of DD1. At the moment, I can't fault them!

what does it cost you per hour for the teacher aide if you don't mind me asking?
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

the school is doing nothing.

In fact the new teachers this term were not told of his diagnosis Shocked

The teacher in the first term, did ask others on duty to keep an eye out.

I have also asked that he be told on mondays that he is catching the bus. I tell him every monday morning, but he forgets, come the end of the day. Quite a few times my friend has seen him wandering around looking for me on Monday Evil or Very Mad .

I went in and saw the teacher a few weeks ago, to touch base, and talk about christopher. All went well but we found out on wednssday last week she was leaving. On friday.

Great - three teachers this year already.

So, i guess im not that happy about the way things have gone. I have had no support offered.

To be fair, i havent really asked (as i dont know what im entitled to, and we are in the early stages) What i have asked for has not been carried out, which in my opinion is small things to make his life easier.

So i am thinking if this is not rectified we may change schools. I know in my heart this is not the right school for him. Its just convincing DH, who tends to bury his head in the sand, till something major comes up.
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:37 pm

gosh that sounds majorly slack!!! I wonder if you could talk to an early intervention teacher (who help with ASD kids who are preschool) and see what schools they recommend as they deal with transitioning kids into school. They are from the min. edu - group special education
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Yeah they are slack. I dont like to bag schools, when i havent been overly specific about what i need/want (though like i said, we are at the beggining of our journey and not sure what we need/want/are entitled to)

Theres other things aside from this, that have really p!ssed me off. One was the principal ringing me to ask how christopher was (he was sick)....sounds lovely doesnt it, thats what i thought....she was actually ringing to see if i could still do transport for his class. Um, yeah ill just leave my sick kid at home alone and drive down. Evil or Very Mad

Also he got bullied in his first week of school for wearing sandels. I couldnt believe it, they are five years old for goodness sake!!!

Anyway, that wasnt meant to be a vent, but ive had enough!

How do i go about talking to an EIT?
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:11 pm

missbee wrote:Yeah they are slack. I dont like to bag schools, when i havent been overly specific about what i need/want (though like i said, we are at the beggining of our journey and not sure what we need/want/are entitled to)

Theres other things aside from this, that have really p!ssed me off. One was the principal ringing me to ask how christopher was (he was sick)....sounds lovely doesnt it, thats what i thought....she was actually ringing to see if i could still do transport for his class. Um, yeah ill just leave my sick kid at home alone and drive down. Evil or Very Mad

Also he got bullied in his first week of school for wearing sandels. I couldnt believe it, they are five years old for goodness sake!!!

Anyway, that wasnt meant to be a vent, but ive had enough!

How do i go about talking to an EIT?

JUst give the min. edu a call maybe? The EIT won't have anything to do with Chris as they only do preschool but they may be able to let you know what schools near you are proactive and supportive.
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Jeshiko wrote:
teegee wrote:Our school has a SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator), and we met with her, the principal, DD's classroom teacher and DD's EIT along with the RTLB before DD started school - this was our initial IEP. And since then, we have made good progress. DD1 has a full time teacher aide for which we fund 100 hours per term (school pays the rest), and she has RTLB & SLT hours. The school is doing really well - it helps that they had an ASD child a few years ahead of DD1. At the moment, I can't fault them!

what does it cost you per hour for the teacher aide if you don't mind me asking?

I think it is $17.50 per hour - approx $2K per term

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 am

teegee wrote:
Jeshiko wrote:

I think it is $17.50 per hour - approx $2K per term

eeeek!
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 am

Well we were paying almost that much per term for the private preschool DD1 was attending, and would have been paying that much if we had continued at the private school per term in tuition fees. So we aren't really "missing" it IYGWIM?

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:57 am

teegee wrote:Well we were paying almost that much per term for the private preschool DD1 was attending, and would have been paying that much if we had continued at the private school per term in tuition fees. So we aren't really "missing" it IYGWIM?

yes that is true Smile so does she have a fulltime teacher aide then with what you pay plus her entitlement?
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:43 am

Yes, the teacher aide is full time - and we are paying part of her salary and the school is paying the rest IYGWIM? It was the school's decision to make the TA full-time to help DD1. I am forever grateful, because DD1 wouldn't be where she is now without the TA.

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 am

Okay will do that, thanks for the suggestion.
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sewsable Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:54 am

Ian has a learning plan (IEP) where have a meeting with school and GSE every so often to go over his progress and what support he needs to improve. His social development is part of that plan and his support person at lunch is supposed to get some of the other kids to play with him.
He has a teacher aide full time at the moment which is partly funded under ORRS and the rest is being picked up by the school atm (we can't afford it, and apparently parents paying the teacher aide is tricky for them too). With all the earthquakes they can't afford to leave Ian without support as he would happily disappear while the teacher was trying to organise the other kids in his class; including several klingons. He has several different support people in a week, sometimes a couple in a day but that doesn't worry him luckily.
Our school has been really good since the deputy principal got taken out of the loop; as soon as the disability coordinator was in charge things have gone much more smoothly and they've been actively trying to help Ian integrate. At one point we were looking at whether changing schools would work, but we didn't really want to as the school had been so good for George. Luckily they upped their game.
sewsable
sewsable

http://http:/raciebaby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 am

sewsable wrote: and apparently parents paying the teacher aide is tricky for them too

Can you please explain why this? I don't understand?

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  sewsable Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 am

teegee wrote:
sewsable wrote: and apparently parents paying the teacher aide is tricky for them too

Can you please explain why this? I don't understand?

Something to do with taxes I think; I'm not really clear on it either and didn't worry too much seeing as we couldn't afford it anyway. From my IRD days it would mean that the teacher aide if receiving income from 2 sources would be taxed at a higher rate on the secondary income.
sewsable
sewsable

http://http:/raciebaby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm

I think I get what you are saying... we pay the school, who pays the TA Smile so it is income from one source for the TA Smile

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down