ASD Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gluten and dairy free

5 posters

Go down

gluten and dairy free Empty gluten and dairy free

Post  missbee Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:08 am

So anyone here use this diet? Im thinking of doing this along with preservative free for Christopher. Have been doing the preservative thing for a few weeks (not 100%, still learning to read labels) and it seems to be going well.

missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

gluten and dairy free Empty Re: gluten and dairy free

Post  teegee Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:31 am

I tried going dairy free for DD1, but no real success in actually doing it... we are a dairy and gluten family Rolling Eyes didn't even bother doing the gluten free Rolling Eyes

Rochelle has done it and finds it very good Smile

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  hismama Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 am

I have celiac disease and lactose intolerance, and we figured out at about 18 months that W is gluten and dairy intolerant! I keep him off sugar and pretty much any processed food, but he gets it all at his dads Rolling Eyes

hismama

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:22 am

I know some people have great results, others no results at all.

Yes i think it will mean getting everybody on board, including grandparents etc.
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwigem Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 am

I must admit, the coeliacs diagnosis did make it so much easier in that we could then say "yes, a little bit will hurt!"

I find it so much easier having a gluten free kitchen (we're slowly letting some dairy back in... feta, ricotta, cottage cheese, yoghurt etc) because we don't have to worry about contamination. Rick (husband) keeps a loaf of bread in the freezer at work and gets his gluten fix outside the house Laughing
Kiwigem
Kiwigem

Back to top Go down

Post  hismama Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 am

We don't have a diagnosis for William, he was too little for it to show up, but it was obvious to me that the problem was gluten, once we took him off it his nasty eczema disappeared, and if he gets some, we get the tummy issues! can't have him tested now without putting him back on gluten for at least 2 weeks, really not keen to do that! We get a CDA for his eczema anyway, so no point pushing for a diagnosis.

hismama

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:23 am

We are off to the naturopath on wednesday next week. We have done some gluten free (actually mostly, except my bread was awful, so still having gluten in bread).
Hoping to get some good recipes to go completely gluten free.
Preservative free here too, still going well.
Mostly dairy free also. Though still working on that.

Will update after our appointment!
missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:09 am

Just thought i would write a quick update on the diet.

We have seen the Naturopath, and Christopher is now GFCF. We also try to not give him any preservatives, which has been hard over the holidays as we have been away.

We've taken to making things - ice blocks, sauce, pizza bases, tempera batter, GFCF baking (some successes, some failures!!).

School lunches are the hardest. Am enjoying the holidays for that reason, among others!

His behaviour has been quite amazingly different. Much more calm and relaxed. Much more compliant.

He still does "aspie" things, and I know its certainly not a cure, but it has been well worth it for us.

Just thought id share. Its loosely based on the GAPS diet. Getting back to basics, though i admit, we are not that hardcore with all natural. Its mainly the GFCF im religious about.

We have also put in a garden, which im hoping fares okay after the heavy rain we have just had (put it all in the day before Evil or Very Mad )

missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:17 am

I talked to my doctor recently about GF because DD1 has been using the excuse "I'm tired" recently - whether she is actually tired or just trying to get out of things she doesn't want to do, we don't know.

We are pretty sure she isn't coeliac. But I wondered about just a general intolerance to gluten. But we have also ruled that out, as she doesn't have any of the symptoms associated with gluten intolerance. And to be honest, I am kinda too lazy to give GF a proper try Embarassed it is in my "too hard" basket Embarassed because it means 2 weeks of no treats from grandparents, and quite frankly, it is the grandparents who will protest more than DD1!!!

teegee

Back to top Go down

Post  missbee Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah it is hard, especially with a few other things thrown in. I sometimes wish it was just gluten, but dairy and preservatives are in blimmin everything Laughing !!!

Grandparents have been really good, I have to say. Im lucky there. And school was too, asking before giving him stuff. I pack him a lunchbox if all else fails.

I figured id try for a month, and if no change we could look at alternatives. I guess im a bit of a skeptic.

So far so good, although today has been very trying. Its like he has stepped back in time behaviour wise, but i think he is tired also.

missbee
missbee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeshiko Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:54 pm

great that you are seeing some results Lara Smile
Jeshiko
Jeshiko
Admin

http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down